Within the bustling streets and busy locales of Dagupan lies the Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, or most commonly known as the Dagupan Cathedral by Dagupeños. The Cathedral goes by many other names like the Saint John Cathedral, Cathedral Parish of St. John the Evangelist, and Metropolitan Cathedral of Dagupan. The Cathedral is home to the Episcopal Seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan. The Cathedral traces back to the late 1590s and early 1610s, when it was first led by the Augustinians ruling the town and the Parish. It’s first parish priest was Father Kuis Huete, with their patron-saint being Saint John the Evangelist. In 1660s, native revolutionary Andres Malong burned down the Cathedral, and it took long years before it was rebuilt by Rev. Pedro de Rama in 1816. Several natural disasters between the late 1890s and early 1910s affected the Church, which led to many more renovations. During the tumult of the 1898 Philippine Revolution against Spanish colonial rule, the Dagupan Convento became a sanctuary to the Spanish rulers in Pangasinan, along with religious relics and ornaments from burned down Churches in Pangasinan. In 1954, the Lingayen-Dagupan Archdiocese was established in Dagupan. The cornerstones of the present-day Cathedral were built in 1964, concluding to the inauguration of the Saint John the Evangelist Church in 1974. The 1990 Killer Earthquake destroyed parts of the Cathedral, and renovations lasted until early 2001. At present, the Saint John Cathedral is led by Metropolitan Bishop Socrates B. Villegas, DD., and was formally transferred to its present location in December 2010, two days after Christmas.